We understand that even during pandemics, life doesn’t stop, and you may find yourself needing to buy a home. If you’re unable to put your house searching on hold – read our tips below to keep yourself healthy and safe.
Talk with a lender.
- • If you haven’t already done this, make sure you call your mortgage officer first. Be a smart buyer by shopping for houses within your budget. Also, you’ll be more appealing to a seller if your present your offer with a preapproval letter. Remember, the people who are out looking for a home right now are serious buyers, so you’ll want to make sure you stand out!
- • According to Lisa Brodersen, a loan officer for Guild Mortgage, you can buy 100% online for financing! Not only is the online application super quick and user friendly, but she also stated, “We have also gone to a system of electronic documents for items that in the past would have been “wet” signed, now they can be signed electronically.” Guild Mortgage has also introduced electronic closings to help minimize exposure and risk. Lisa stated, “We have always been high tech, high touch and have evolved that even further during this pandemic. Nothing is stopping our clients from financing the home of their dreams!” Learn more about Lisa here or contact her at (402) 315.4552 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- • Remember to ask your lender how much of the process you can do virtually so you don’t have to leave your house. Each bank is different so it’s important to understand their policies and procedures surrounding COVID-19.
Research as much as you can online.
- • Most listings are posted online so you you’re able to view photos, virtual tours and property features directly from your phone or computer. Locate the home on Google Map and see what restaurants, stores, banks, school, and other businesses are in the area. You can even change the map to satellite and walk the streets virtually!
Hire an expert Realtor and tour the home from your couch!
- • When you hire an agent to represent you, a door of possibilities will open. If you hire Cassidee as your agent, she will go the extra mile for you! If you are unable to or if you prefer to stay at home, Cassidee will tour the home for you with the permission from the sellers. She will either take a walk-through video of the home for you or she can video chat with you in real time. She will take thorough notes, open every closet and turn on every light so you’ll feel like your touring the home in person. Cassidee will also be able to send you any additional property information including seller property condition disclosures. Furthermore, she will talk to the listing agent directly and get any of your questions about the home answered!
If you need to see the home in person, follow these tips to keep everyone safe.
Don’t bring anyone to the showing except you and your significant other.
- • We understand that you want to bring your children, your parents and your friends to see your future home, but during this time, you may be asked to only bring yourself to the showing. We encourage you to take videos and photos to share with your family and friends offsite. Not only will this keep you and your Realtor safe, but it also keeps the current homeowners safe.
Remove your shoes or wear booties upon entering the property.
- • A study conducted by Dr. Charles Gerba, a microbiologist and professor at the University of Arizona, and The Rockport Company, revealed that the bottoms of your shoes can carry 421,000 units of bacteria. In order to keep the current homeowners safe, you should wear disposable booties around your shoes. If they are not available at the showing or if your agent does not provide them for you, remove your shoes prior to walking into the home.
Do not touch anything.
- • This includes light switches, opening of closet doors and kitchen cabinets, or anything else within the house. If you need to open a door or turn on a light, make sure to use a sanitary wipe such as Clorox wipes. Dispose of the wipes in a trash bag designated by the seller or into a plastic sack that you can throw away after leaving the property.
- • If you hire Cassidee as your agent, she will reach out to the listing agent to make sure the sellers open the window coverings and turn on all the lights prior to the showing. She will also bring along wipes and hand sanitizer to ensure everyone keeps safe while viewing the home.
Wear a face mask.
House buying should be fun – and it still can be! Even though the coronavirus has changed up our daily lives and business operations and everyone is taking extra precautions to stop the spread of the virus, you can still buy the home of your dreams! We just ask that you take your health and the health of others seriously and use the tips above when house hunting.
If you have any questions or want more details about how you can buy a home during this pandemic, don’t hesitate to reach out to Cassidee today! (402) 706.2901 or email@example.com
About Loan Officer Lisa Brodersen
Lisa Brodersen of Guild Mortgage is a licensed residential mortgage originator in Nebraska and Iowa. She is a certified Nebraska Finance Authority Loan Officer Specialist and in 2017 she was recognized by the Nebraska Mortgage Association as a member of the 2017 Champions Circle. She can be contacted at (402) 315.4552 or firstname.lastname@example.org.